Faculty Spotlight: New Assistant Professor Jiangen He

Jiangen He said his new position at SIS is ideal for him, both in the description and location, and he couldn’t be more thrilled to start in the fall.

“I learned a lot about the research footprint of the different [SIS] faculty members and I feel there is some connection between my research and the faculty members’ research,” he said. “At the same time, I feel my research is a little bit different than the existing research contributed by faculty members, and that I can give new contributions, but there are connections.”

He comes to SIS from a research assistant position at Drexel University College of Computing and Informatics. His research focuses on visual analytics, data-driven predictions, and critical information measurement in science of science, and studies of how social factors in artificial intelligence affect people’s information and decision-making behavior. He is also a winner of the 2019 Eugene Garfield Doctoral Dissertation Scholarship from the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics and the winner of the 2020 Eugene Garfield Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship from Beta Phi Mu International Honor Society. He is interested in teaching information visualization to students, and eager to help contribute to the SIS undergraduate major.

“I worked in that industry for two years and I’ve worked in academia for many years, so I know both. I feel I can teach students how to use information technology and implement their ideas whether they’re research-oriented or industry-oriented,” he said.