Valerie opened the library at the Montessori Public School of Arlington in Virginia in the fall of 2019. Before joining MPSA she was the elementary library education specialist for Fairfax County Public Schools (VA), the 10th largest school district in the country and a school librarian in that district for several years prior. Valerie is active with the Virginia Association of School Librarians, having served on its board on multiple occasions.
She has been teaching at SIS for seven years.
- MSIS, University of Tennessee-Knoxville
- MA, George Mason University
- BA, American University
- School Libraries
- Youth and Information Seeking
- Inquiry-Based Learning
- Children's Literature
- INSC 551 School Libraries
- INSC 330 Books and Related Materials for Children
My favorite thing about working at SIS is:
Getting to work with so many new members of a profession I love – school librarianship!
- Bilal, D., & Jopeck, V. (2014). Young girls' affective responses to access and use of information and communication technology (ICT) in information-poor societies. In New Directions in Children's and Adolescents' Information Behavior Research. Bingley, United Kingdom: Emerald Group. Perspectives, v. 32(3).