Mike Frame is Deputy Director, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) for Science Analysis, Synthesis and Libraries. He is responsible for enabling better use and application of scientific data through developing data access/interoperability strategies and the implementation of technologies such as: knowledge portals, data integration tools, analysis/visualization technologies, geospatial applications, standards, and indexing/discovery methods. He has served as Principal Investigator on several US National Science Foundation projects, international councils, and initiatives. He is currently supporting several USGS Open Data initiatives, the implementation of high-performance computing in USGS, and helping to support USGS Library services.
He has been teaching at SIS for nine years.
- MS Industrial Engr/Engr. Mgt
- BS Electrical and Computer Engineer
- Science Data Management & Lifecycle
- Data Standards
- Information Science
- Library Services
- Data Integration
- Usability / Human Factors
- INSC 546 Environmental Informatics/Environmental Information
My favorite thing about working at SIS is:
Working with and mentoring students.
- Tenopir, C., S. Allard, K.L. Douglass, A.U. Aydinoglu, L. Wu, E. Read, E. Manoff & M. Frame. 2011. Data Sharing by Scientists: Practices and Perceptions. PLoS ONE 6(6): e21101. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0021101
- Michener, W.K., S. Allard, A. Budden, R. B. Cook, K. Douglass, M. Frame, S. Kelling, R. Koskela, C. Tenopir, D.A. Vieglais. 2012. Participatory design of DataONE—Enabling cyberinfrastructure for the biological and environmental sciences. Ecological Informatics. 11: September. pp. 5-15, ISSN 1574-9541, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoinf.2011.08.007.
- Frame, M., G. Cotter, L. Zolly, J. Little. 2003. Information Science & Technology Developments within the National Biological Information Infrastructure. Online Ecological and Environmental Data. 23(4).
- Tenopir C, Dalton ED, Allard S, Frame M, Pjesivac I, et al. (2015) Changes in Data Sharing and Data Reuse Practices and Perceptions among Scientists Worldwide. PLoS ONE 10(8): e0134826. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0134826
- John L Schnase, Judy Cushing, Mike Frame, Anne Frondorf, Eric Landis, David Maier, Avi Silberschatz, Information technology challenges of biodiversity and ecosystems informatics, Information Systems, Volume 28, Issue 4, 2003, Pages 339-345, ISSN 0306-4379, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4379(02)00070-4.