I am the creator and editor of “Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast,” a children’s literature blog focused primarily on illustration and picture books, founded in 2006. I write for Kirkus, BookPage, the Horn Book, and I've written for the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC). I wrote “Wild Things! Acts of Mischief in Children’s Literature,” published in 2014 by Candlewick Press, with Betsy Bird and Peter D. Sieruta. I have juried for the Society of Illustrators’ Original Art Award, as well as the Bologna Ragazzi Awards.
I have been teaching at SIS for four years.
- M.S. Information Sciences, University of Tennessee
- B.A. Sign Language Interpreting, Maryville College
- Children's Literature
- Picture Books
- Picture Book Illustration
- INSC 577: Picture Books Across the Curriculum
My favorite thing about working at SIS is:
Exposing students to the big, beautiful world of picture books and illustration.
- American Library Association
- Association for Library Service to Children
- United States Board on Books for Young People
- Bird, B., Danielson, J. & Sieruta, P. (2014). Wild things!: Acts of mischief in children's literature. Somerville, Massachusetts: Candlewick Press.
- Danielson, J. Storytelling Across Borders. In Association for Library Service to Children, The Newbery & Caldecott Awards: A Guide to the Medal and Honor Books (2015 ed., pp. 11-17). Chicago: American Library Association.
- Danielson, J. & Jonker, T. (2018, July/August). The year in pictures. The Horn Book, 42-46.
- Danielson, J. (2016, July/August). The year in pictures. The Horn Book, 16-21.
- Danielson, J. (2014, March/April). Just enjoy the pictures: Hand-crafted versus digital art. The Horn Book, 44-47.