I am interested in a career in library systems work, probably in an academic library environment. I have had some systems and automation course work as well as some work with database management software on my own. The following objectives are proposed for consideration in structuring a practicum during fall:
- To understand the problems and issues related to working with a computing services organization in providing support for library systems.
- To become familiar with the operation of a library systems department by observing procedures, participating in meetings, understanding decision making, and by hands-on experience.
- To gain experience with the hardware, software, and networks through discussions, meetings, workshops, studying manuals, and accomplishing tasks related to my abilities.
- To gain experience with MARC and non-MARC records maintained by a library with some emphasis on the nature and structure of non-print media formats.
- To provide computer and software support to the library staff for both library and administrative applications.
- To gain experience with digital storage programs used by the library.
I intend to begin my library career in reference work in an public library environment, and i need to have some practical, hands-on experience to accompany my course work in is 530, 535, 531, 533:
- I wish to gain additional knowledge of all types of reference tools, especially in the social sciences and humanities.
- I want to develop and test public-service interpersonal skills at the reference desk.
- I want to gain proficiency in searching print and digital resources.
- I want to have experience in the evaluation of reference collections and selection of new materials.
- I want to have some experience in instructing patrons in the use of library materials and services.