If you’re looking for a hands-on learning environment with the convenience of online courses, look no further. With more than two decades providing distance education options, students seeking their ALA accredited master of science in information sciences (MSIS) degree or their bachelor of science in information sciences (BSIS) degree receive the same great educational experience whether they choose our online or on-campus course options.
Fully Online, or a Mix of On-Campus & Online Courses
A Mix of On-Campus & Online Courses
We bring the classroom to you. Many students are working professionals, and our synchronous and asynchronous course options make earning a degree a reality for those that are unable to leave work, friends, family, and home. Our MSIS program offers both online and on-campus, while our BSIS program includes a mixture of both on-campus and online classes.
SIS online classes promote strong engagement in real-time between faculty and students. Students enjoy the benefits of a tight-knit, online community as they pursue their information sciences journey.
Interactive learning is essential to our information sciences educational programs. Our faculty create a hands-on environment, even with an online course delivery format.
Each student, whether on-campus or studying from a distance, is assigned a faculty mentor as a guide through their MSIS and/or BSIS journey and beyond.
Why Study On-Campus?
Both on-campus and distance education options offer the convenience of online classes, but our on-campus students enjoy the benefits of many aspects of face-to-face interaction with faculty and students, in-person networking opportunities with IS leaders, research partnerships with UT Libraries and others, as well as campus and Knoxville city events!
On-campus students also enjoy access to campus facilities, resources and services such as student health services and recreation facilities.
If you choose to study on the Knoxville campus, your first few classes may be in a physical, traditional classroom, but a majority of your classes will be online.
- Ranked within the top 50 best places to live according to US News & World Report.
- A day’s drive away from half of the continental US.
- Average annual temperatures: high 69° F and low 49° F.
- Great for outdoor lovers, including hikers, mountain bikers, trail runners, rock climbers, and water enthusiasts. The Urban Wilderness features 1,000 acres, including lake and river access.
- 112 miles of paved greenways and natural trails.
- Centralized downtown area, with a selection of restaurants, breweries, and other entertainment.
- A hub for live music, concerts, and events, including the historic Tennessee Theater.
- Featuring one of the country’s largest sports venues: UT’s Neyland Stadium.
- More red pandas are birthed at Zoo Knoxville than any other zoo in the world (SIS students can even takes field trips to look at their zoological information management systems).
- 45-minute drive from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Dockless bike share and scooter rental system.
- Pet friendly activities, including the annual Mardi Growl Parade.