Youth Informatics Certificate
The School of Information Sciences (SIS) at the University of Tennessee offers graduate certificate program in Youth Informatics. The program is open to all Master’s/PhD students, and requires successful completion of 12 credit hours. The certificate program provides valuable information and credentialing to any professional engaged in youth services or youth interactions such as teachers, education administrators, school or public librarians, computer/software programmers and designers, and youth group leaders.
- Learn how youth use and apply technology in diverse settings
- 12-credit hour program: 4 courses, 3-credit hours each (tentative schedule)
- INSC 583: Introduction to Youth Informatics
- INSC 593: Seminar in Youth Informatics
- INSC 542: Social Informatics
- ALEC 510: Agricultural Leadership Development (can be substituted by CFS 515, or PSYC 511)
- Available to all graduate level students across the UT system regardless of discipline
- Continuing education (CWS) credit available
What is it?
Informatics is the science of gathering, manipulating, storing, retrieving, and classifying recorded information using information and communication technology (ICT).
Youth informatics is an interdisciplinary area of study that focuses on how youth transform information technology and how information technology transforms youth.
Who can apply?
Current UT SIS master’s students can earn the certificate by completing YIC required courses as a part of their Master’s degree coursework – with prior approval from SIS Coordinator of Youth Informatics (Dania Bilal, PhD, email@example.com)
- Master’s and doctoral students currently enrolled in other programs, even those at other universities may also apply
- Practitioners with a Master’s or doctoral degree from another program at UT or from another university
Applications can be submitted through the UTK Graduate Admissions Office.
For more information about the Youth Informatics Certificate Program, call the SIS offices at 865-974-2148, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (EST) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a downloadable program sheet, click here for the PDF file.