The John C. Winslow Memorial Scholarship is aimed at supporting current and prospective students who are already working in public libraries and wish to earn their MSIS degrees. The scholarship is open to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, or veteran status, subject to the following criteria:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled at or admitted to attend the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, College of Communication and Information.
- Applicants must be pursuing a masters in the School of Information Sciences and pursuing a career in public library sciences.
- Preference will be given to students already working in a public library and who are graduates of the University of Tennessee and/or Vanderbilt.
- Applicants must demonstrate successful academic performance.
- A student holding the John C. Winslow Memorial Scholarship in one year shall have preference in subsequent years.
- Financial need may be considered.
The Winslow Memorial Scholarship provides tuition support of up to $5000 per semester, and may be renewed for up to five semesters so long as the recipient remains in good academic standing. Additional semesters of support may be provided if needed.
In addition to uploading a current resume or curriculum vitae (c.v.), applicants must answer the following questions (we encourage you to write your answers offline, then copy-and-paste your answers into the application):
- Tell us about your experiences working in public libraries, and what motivates you to work in this environment.
- What role do you think public libraries serve in a community?
- Tell us why you are interested in earning an MSIS, and how it will impact your ability to serve your community. In your response, be sure to tell us about the community your public library serves.
- If money and other resources were no object, what service would you design and offer to your community? Be sure to explain why this service would be helpful to your specific community.
- Tell us why you are an ideal candidate for this scholarship, and how the scholarship will help you pursue this degree.
The application requires three letters of recommendation. Applicants should direct those writing recommendations to tiny.utk.edu/sis_winslow_endorse for submission prior to June 30, 2020.